How To Address Mold Problems In The Home

How To Address Mold Problems In The Home…

Mold is a form of fungus and this tiny organism is present all throughout the year and can be found practically anywhere, whether indoors or outdoors. It can grow on food or other organic material like plants, soil or decaying matter. Mold has a thousand species and they come in different colors from white to black or green and even orange. Usually, mold produces a musty or stuffy odor.

It may surprise you to know that mold actually has a benefit to the environment because it is necessary in the process of decomposition. Like other fungi, molds have microscopic particles known as spores. Because they are small and lightweight, it is very easy for mold spores to float and travel through the air. These spores are just like plant seeds, they form new mold colonies as long as the conditions are right.

Mold

Sample of Mold Damage

A warm and humid condition is ideal for mold development, although molds can also grow in cold weather. Most type of surfaces in a building contains enough material to encourage mold growth. Molds can start to grow as easy as when a spore settles on a damp material or objects, for instance, walls, floors, or carpets. When there is large mold growth in a building, the occupants can suffer from allergic reactions similar to those triggered by plant pollens.

Mold requires very little nourishment to grow. All it needs is a spot where it can multiply, an organic food source like paper or dirt and moisture. In a house, there are plenty of things that can produce a good amount of moisture such as leaky roofs and pipes, a damp basement, flooding, humidifiers, and clothes dryers that are not vented outside.

You may be wondering how you can be exposed to mold. The truth is everyone is exposed to this organism every day. Usually, we either get into skin contact with it or we eat it or inhale it. When there is mold in your home or your workplace, you can easily breathe in the spores that may have been let loose into the air. If you inhale or ingest a significant number of mold spores, the effect to your health may be adverse.

Being exposed to any kind of mold under certain conditions could lead to several health effects, the most common of which are allergic symptoms which could be any number of things like sneezing, coughing, runny nose, watery eyes, itching, and difficulty in breathing. Sometimes, though, the same large amount of mold being inhaled could cause adverse health effects on one person but may not have any effect in another.

Read FULL Article at: TheRestorationResource.com

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s